38532 - Automation Test Engineer
Location: Birmingham / National
Salary Range: £26,000 - £29,000
As a Test Engineer you will be responsible for writing, debugging and refactoring test code. You will work closely with our software developers to reach a common understanding of the code base and test coverage at unit level. You will collaborate with analysts to make sure the required business scenarios are covered in the acceptance and test scripts. You will also work on both functional and non-functional areas of an application. coach and mentor testers.
The Squad you are placed on will be agreed closer to your start date, but examples of products can be found in our github repositories:
We rely heavily on
- JIRA as our bug tracking software
- JMeter for load tests
- Selenium/Web Driver for end to end testing
- Fiddler, Burp and Developer Tools to analyse packets
- SOAP UI for API inspection
- Jenkins for deployment
- Dynatrace for application monitoring
- Azure for most of our infrastructure
- Postgres and Redis as our databases.
- GOV.UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
- In addition, we use a range of other technologies and continue to evolve by employing new technologies that help us deliver better services to our users
We’re happy to help you learn our tech stack once you’re part of our team.
What will you be doing?
- Understand business processes and activities that impact and that are impacted by the project and systems you are working on. Develop extensive knowledge in the functionality of the systems you are working on, and integrated systems as required.
- Writing, amending and refactoring code to build simple programs/scripts under direction. Documenting code written and adhering to internal software development standards/processes/procedures.
- Work with others to use security controls to design and build secure products. Handle information with confidentiality and integrity, work with stakeholders and SMEs to ensure compliance and information assurance.
- Participate in product support and carry out agreed infrastructure maintenance tasks. Assist in troubleshooting and identifying faults using modern tools. Some activities may be outside the core office hours (in-line with the organisation’s policy for OOH).
- Contribute to planning by estimating your own effort. Practice the agreed methodology and seek advice on how to apply it to your work.
- Review requirements, specifications and define test conditions for both functional and non-functional requirements. Write and execute manual and automated test scripts.
- Champion test practices, provide advice to other stakeholders on the different types of tests, testing tools and testing environments available
- Maintain full traceability of defects, tests and requirements. Report issues found through the appropriate channels.
- Analyse the test results to identify simple patterns and trends. Investigate problems and opportunities in existing functionality of the software, translate findings into impact on the users and the business.
- Seek guidance to adhere to industry’s best practices and produce well-engineered modern products. Coach and mentor more junior colleagues.
- Test from / in the most suitable environments, including using different devices and traveling on-site (in accordance with the organisation’s travel and accommodation policies).
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrable knowledge of business domains and/or systems you tested
- A proven track record in defining and implementation of test tooling, test environments and test data required for all phases of testing. Good understanding of test types and concepts
- Experience in writing automated testing programs/scripts, ideally in our core technology stack
- Experience in load testing tools
- Knowledge of REST web services and API inspection tools
- Awareness of packet analyzers
- Experience in using bug tracking software
- Show where you have identified issues and risks associated with work whilst being able to analyse and report test activities and results
- Have been exposed to the application of Agile principles in practice
- Some experience in design and execution of non-functional test cases in a range of environments
- A strong understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle
Ends: 31 March 2021 at 23:55:00 GMT