HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is an agency of the Ministry of Justice. We provide administrative support for the legal system across England and Wales, ensuring justice works for everyone.
We’re currently beginning a period of significant change, with a £1bn investment which will transform our organisation by 2023.
Our staff help provide access to justice for every person and business in the UK, including:
- victims and witnesses of crime
- defendants accused of crimes
- consumers in debt or with other disputes
- people involved in the adoption or protection of children
- businesses involved in commercial disputes
- individuals asserting their employment rights or challenging the decisions of government bodies
- people affected by relationship breakdown.
We’re responsible for:
- providing the supporting administration for a fair, efficient and accessible courts and tribunal system
- supporting an independent judiciary in the administration of justice
- driving improvements across all aspects of the administration of the courts and tribunals
- collaborating effectively with other justice organisations and agencies, including the legal professions, to improve access to justice
- working with government departments and agencies to improve the quality and timeliness of their decision-making, which will reduce the number of cases coming before courts and tribunals.
The Reform programme
At the moment, we deliver public services face-to-face through court and tribunal buildings, remotely via business centres, and digitally through a limited number of online services.
Our ambition is to deliver a world-class justice system, and make the services we provide better for everyone – through improved delivery in courts and tribunal buildings, with newly designed national service centres, and via enhanced digital options.
We’re doing this through a £1bn Reform programme, which means now is a great time to join us. This once-in-a-generation opportunity will create a more streamlined and helpful system for everyone who uses it and works in it – at a significantly reduced cost to the taxpayer.